Tips to get started on the Paleo/Eating Clean way of life:
1. Plan, Plan, Plan! You will have much more success if you plan your meals for a week. Yeah, we know it’s a pain, but it’s worth it! Plan your meals and your snacks.
2. Clean out your pantry and refrigerator of all sugars and processed foods. This will help reduce the temptation of eating something unhealthy. Replace your dairy milk with So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk. It really is so delicious! Almond milk is yummy too! Keep fresh fruits, vegetables, nut and seeds on hand at all times. Almonds, frozen blueberries, almond milk, coconut milk and beef jerky are some great snacks.
3. Buy food and make food you can eat throughout the week. For example: Cook a huge roast or pork roast in the crock pot, then you have meat for a few days to eat on salads, in a lettuce wrap, etc.
4. Prepare to feel crappy for a few days or more. Yep, you are going to feel crappy as you are detoxing off the sugar and processed foods, and dairy. For some it takes 3-5 days, for others it can take up to 21 days. Just remember it’s worth it! And remember, if you are feeling this crappy from not eating the stuff you are used to to eating, doesn’t that tell you something? You NEED to get off of it! Your body is addicted to the sugar, grains, and processed foods and it needs time to reprogram to do what it is designed to do and function the way it’s suppose to. Your gut also needs time to heal from the damage that grains can cause. (Gluten intolerance is a little more serious and can cause multiple symptoms. For more information about gluten intolerance please read here. )
5. You may need to scale your WODS while you are going through the detox process. You are going to feel tired, sluggish, possible headaches, etc. Let your trainer know so we can help you this week.
6. Find your Motivation! Are you doing it to lose weight or lean out? Reduce inflammation in body? Improve your athletic performance? If you have a goal then you will be more motivated to stick with this way of eating. Monitor your progress.
7. Share what your goals are with others. If you share your goals with your friends,family and trainers they can help you stick to it! Also, since many of us here at Viking will be doing the challenge together, we can talk about how we are feeling each day and give tips, advice, and recipes to each other. Post in comments and we can all help each other. It’s much easier to do this together! Many of the trainers are familiar with the Paleo diet and are a great resource.
8. Drink lots and lots of water! At least 10 glasses per day! No diet soda or sweetened drinks allowed. They will elicit the same insulin response in your body as sugar.
9. Eating Clean is not a diet. It’s a healthy eating lifestyle change. Our 30 day challenge is to help you get going in hopes you stay eating clean and continue to reap the benefits of putting good food in to your body. You are what you eat. Think of food as a drug, you body will respond by what you put into it.
10. Just Do It! We know it’s hard. So is CrossFit. So are a lot of things you do every day. The first week is the hardest, but when you start seeing and feeling the results, you will be amazed! Don’t give up!